What can be more exciting than watching your baby grow? As she is growing, you start feeling like going out again even if it is a simple family dinner.Those pre-baby times when dining out wasn’t such a big deal,when you didn’t have to think how many wet wipes you put in your bag,seemed so unreal after having a baby,like they happened in a different life or with someone else.When babies come, they change our lives forever-for the best. All those emotions that we experience when doing things for the first time with a new baby are normal. So time has come and you are ready to go out and take your baby out? No problem.
Here are a few tips on how to make the whole process not only easier but also enjoyable(for all of you).
- Know your baby routine. In other words, the right timing plays the biggest part here. You won’t wait til you get really hungry to go out, would you? You know that if your tummy doesn’t get fed in time, it will sure let you and those around you know. How do you feel when you are late with your meal-cranky, jumpy,snappy? Do expect your baby to feel exactly the same. His feeding time is your navigation-take him when he is happy, after he had a nap and a snack. He will be more happy to wait for his big meal and play at the table when he is contented.
- Be prepared for delays. Meaning- choose carefully which night is the best to go out.Make sure it’s not a public holiday, sport game night or an event that can be happening locally. When you planned your evening carefully, there is a very slight chance for delaying to occur.
- Look for kids friendly restaurants that do tolerate a little more noise or is ok with breastfeeding(bottle-feeding). With a toddler or a young child, is there a play room that is safe and close to family size tables? If you have tried a few diners already and chosen the place you liked, be sure to make friends with staff so next time they will accommodate you the best they can.
- Invest into a multi-functional baby bag like the one that transforms into a booster seat and has an option of a portable change station-they are life and money savers and are great for children that can seat unsupported(6 months+). No high chairs available? No problem. Who wants to deal with germs left from other babies anyway ? Babies that are seated on a booster seat close to a family table are less likely to get bored,constantly seek for attention or throw a tantrum. Why? Because they feel more included, being within a close circle, belong to the pack-that is a form of attachment parenting on its own. It can’t get better if you invest into the bag that turns into a booster seat and a changing station-no need to worry about placing your bub on a cold change room counter -simply unfold your bag, carefully taking the stuff out and placing it in a shell that is provided inside.This is a good reason for not needing to bring a pram, if the bub gets tired-you can simply lay him down in the bag’s bassinet position whereever it is safe and well supervised. Check this awesome Baby Bag here
5. Don’t worry about packing a kitchen sink. Take a spare set of clothes for the bub, a few wet wipes( I am sure you can find a rest room with water in a worst case of things), baby bottle or his food depending on the age, a couple of nappies(or inserts if you use modern cloth nappies, disposable or easy-to-clean bib, a muslin wrap for breastfeeding and burping.
6. Have a new toy or two at each visit . For those, simply dash into your local dollar shop, there are plenty of options for inexpensive toys like travel size baby books, sticker charts, cell phones, matchbox cars etc. Keep away from balls unless you like frequent running,squatting and bending. Make sure they stay well hidden in your bag and watch your baby’s face as you pulled them out.Priceless!
7. Make the first meal outing short as a test run and see how everything goes. In places like cafes and restaurants where loud noises and people are unavoidable,some babies might get anxious, some over-stimulated, some bored and some tired-you need to follow your baby’s signs. It is also wise to pick a daytime like a breakfast or brunch as the first time, you both can have a good snooze afterwards.